Saturday, July 28, 2007

Daily Prayer Sites

In my quest to become more attentive to life's ordinary moments, I seek contemplative practices to help me. Praying the hours daily with Merton's latest book is one such practice. Merton is doing his part, but I am struggling to maintain my discipline at it. Yesterday, as I browsed the books at Borders with my 30% off coupon in hand, I came upon a daily prayer book called Sacred Space. It was written for 2007, and seeing as the year is already half over, I decided to use my coupon on a different book. But I did notice an associated website for Sacred Space and did some investigating this morning. My first impression is that this may be a useful tool for practicing daily prayer, especially if you're in front of a computer a lot. Another site I visit from time to time is The Divine Hours, based on the books by Phyllis Tickle. That one can be customized to your local time zone so that you can return to it during the day and it will show you the prayer for your current "hour." Both of these are helpful tools, but the discipline to use them still has to come from within...

No comments: