Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Cloverfield

At my son's encouragement, I survived the nausea generated by watching Cloverfield - and, man, am I glad I did! This was quite an experience. I have to say it's one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen. Not that I'm scared of giant monsters invading Manhattan (although, as you probably know by now, I do have quite the fondness for Manhattan), but the filming technique put you in the middle of the unknown and the action.

If you haven't heard much about this, the entire movie is filmed from a handheld camcorder. There are no breakaways to other scenes, no background music (which is eerie on its own), and lots and lots of movement. If your 10-minute home videos make you queasy, beware. But, if you can make it through, it's a movie you won't soon forget.

I won't spoil any of it for you. All I can say is that if you like movies, especially scary movies, you need to see this film. Watch the trailer, go see the movie, and then help figure out what these mean...

No comments: