Sunday, July 6, 2008

Spiritual Practices - 1. Not Rushing

Summary: I chose to write about this one first because it is my most consistent spiritual practice. I have been "not rushing" for several years now. In fact, I can't even point to an actual beginning or reason behind this change of habit. And, until recently, I probably would not have considered this a spiritual practice, but indeed it is precisely that. To me, "not rushing" means the following: leaving early to arrive somewhere early, not cramming so much into my days to where I feel like I have to finish one thing as fast as I can to get on to the next, walking slowly, and driving slowly.

Reasons: By not rushing, I allow myself the time to notice things along the way. When I am thrust into moments of rushing, I find myself forgetting things, becoming very anxious, and turning quite grumpy. In fact, I have reached the point where if I have to rush to get somewhere, I would prefer not to go at all or reschedule. I am fortunate in that I have never had an issue with high blood pressure. But when I begin to rush, I can feel my blood pressure rising.

So this practice provides physical, mental, and emotional benefits. Primarily, though, maintaining this practice is about staying aware of God and the people around me. If I am rushing, I become concerned with only one thing: getting to where I'm going or getting done. One of the recent aspects of this practice which is still a growing edge for me is speeding when I drive. Thanks to a very sincere and motivational teacher at my defensive driving class a few months ago, I made a sort of solemn vow to stop speeding. So I don't. Period. Not only has my anxiety level lowered even further when I'm behind the wheel, but I have gained a 10% increase in gas mileage. And it's not taking me any longer (really) to get around town. Plus, I've really noticed how much people speed. Wow. Try it for a week and see how many people pass you doing 5, 10, or 15 mph over the limit. Just be sure to stay in the right lane as much as possible!

Where I'm doing well:

  • Driving: Like I said before, I don't speed anymore.
  • Scheduling things: This has taken a lot of effort, and it is still difficult when other people are involved with activities. But, I purposely and unapologetically do not try to completely fill my schedule every day. This gives me time to rest throughout the day, as well.
Where I need more work:
  • Eating: I still eat like the food is going to jump off my plate if I don't consume it rapidly.
Next steps:
  • Remain consistent with my new driving habits.
  • Do not let others - who are rushing - pull me into their "rush traps!"
  • Work on eating more slowly to savor every taste.
  • "Take more time, cover less ground" - Thomas Merton
So how are you doing at not rushing through life?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HA HA HA HA HA...not rushing! Well actually, I am very 'scheduled', but I am not a "rusher" typically. So, I guess I am doing ok. I still try to make moments for down time each day, and time in my week for "fun" with the kids. As for speeding, well I do that more than I should, and eating...I am with you on that. However, I am doing Weight Watchers and ironically that has a way of making me savor the moment more since there is much less and I know I am only getting so much of the "good stuff" in a day. :)

Myles said...

It's hard with kids and school and everything, huh? I must admit that since my kids are older, that removes a lot of the "rushing" in my life. Your comment about Weight Watchers is a good one! I realize now that I eat the fastest when I'm eating whatever I want. When I am doing the low-carb thing, I do slow down and savor my meals more. Hmmm...maybe it's time to start that diet again...

Unknown said...

Well... if you diet, maybe it will make our group meetings easier to eat at! LOL...the food is always so awesome!!! What I find interesting about the "food" thing, is I am better at choosing "good food" and really enjoying those "treats" more. It can be a pain, but at this stage of life I guess I hope to stay healthy and active! Have to have some trade offs!