Saturday, July 12, 2008

Spiritual Practices - 3. Walking

Summary: I decided there was no better time to write about walking as a spiritual practice than right after I had walked. I just went for about an hour here in Phoenix, where we have spent the past couple of days relaxing before the rest of my family leaves me for a week. Kim and Carolyn flew this morning (before the walk) to San Antonio to visit my sister for a week. And Robert flies to San Diego this afternoon to visit Kim's brother for 10 days. And me? I get a week by myself at home. I'm not sure that's ever happened before...

Anyway, back to walking. I started walking somewhat regularly about 2 years ago, primarily as a means to recovery from a severely sprained ankle. During that time, I began to really enjoy walking just for the sake of walking. Then I started doing it more frequently. Then I started doing it on trips and vacations. Now I try to get out as often as I can - which, in the Arizona summer is a little harder to do, but not impossible if I stick to mornings. Somewhere along the way, I began to spend the time focusing on God and creation. I ask God questions. I argue with God. Sometimes I think about what I have to do that day. Sometimes I reflect on the previous day. Sometimes I'm just thankful for being able to walk and enjoy creation. Every time, though, I return refreshed and energized.

Reasons: For me, there is something special about being outside (especially in the mountains) and connecting with God. Less distractions and less noise help a lot. Some people can "get away" without ever leaving their living room or study. That's harder for me. I find that getting out and walking allows my mind and heart to become quiet and open. Whenever I get really mad, I take a walk, too, for the same reasons. It gives me space to breathe and to settle down. So, unintentionally, walking has become truly a spiritual practice for me.

Where I'm doing well: I almost exclusively walk in the mornings, as soon as I get up. Therefore, on days when I have extra time (weekends, days off, vacations), I'm much better about getting up and going, and going longer. On our recent cruise, I walked on the ship every morning but two.

Where I need more work: It's harder to do this on work days, because I usually leave for work around 6:30. If I wanted to walk for an hour, that would mean getting up around 5:00. And that's just not right. So, walking on work days is a real struggle. Occasionally I've walked during my lunch break, but you really can't do that in the summer here without suffering from heat stroke and severe dehydration.

Next steps: If trying to walk on work days continues to be a struggle, I really need to make sure I get out on all my days off and the weekends. Sometimes I'm just lazy and don't want to go. But I need to remind myself and remember how much this helps to get the day off to a good start, centered on God and the beauty of creation.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
When was the last time you got outside, walked, and enjoyed God's creation?

No comments: