Sunday, December 16, 2007

Third Sunday of Advent

Looking back to look forward:

The Gospel not only reminds me of what took place
but also of what will take place.

In the contemplation of Christ's first coming,
I can discover the signs of his second coming.

By looking back in meditation,
I can look forward in expectation.

By reflection, I can project;
by conserving the memory of Christ's birth,
I can progress to the fulfilment of his kingdom.

From Nouwen in Eternal Seasons

I think this is such a key aspect of Advent that we often miss. Remembering enables us to anticipate. Reflecting allows us to look forward to the future. Certainly we cannot live our lives only looking back or only looking forward. We must live in the present moment. But, living in the present moment does not preclude us from reflecting and anticipating.
Remembering, living, and anticipating.
I think that's one of the messages of Advent.

No comments: