Friday, April 18, 2008

Ahhh sleep...

The world is so much brighter and clearer when you can sleep. Since my whining the other night at 3:04am, I have slept two nights with hardly any coughing! And this morning, for a couple of hours - are you ready - I even slept flat on my pillow! Yeah! Can you believe it?

I read once that sleeping each night is a little like dying. Not in a morbid way, but when we lay down, relax, and fall asleep, we are letting go of our alert state of being and surrendering ourselves into God's hands. Our bodies are at rest, and, in fact, much physical healing occurs when we sleep. Then, when we awake, it's a little like resurrection. Our bodies are refreshed (hopefully), and we have new energy and life to face what's ahead. I thought that was an interesting metaphor, but it makes some sense to me. I just wonder if when we die, will our life seem just like a dream? Will the next life be more real and alive than this one, so much so that this current life will seem like a distant memory? Even if it is, it's all we have right now. So we need to live it for all it's worth!

No comments: