Sunday, September 7, 2008

Made it through

The service went well this morning. I don't want to say anything about riding a bicycle because that would sound very cliche-ish. But, I was relaxed and only had to refer to my notes a handful of times (I've been working on reducing my dependence on my notes.) Thank you, God.


However, I need to think a lot (still) about doing this again. I really struggled with getting this ready. Not because of the subject, but because of changes internally. I love talking about the Psalms, especially about praying the psalms. But my motivation level to prepare a sermon was pretty low, and I had over a month to prepare! Therefore, it was not very sermon-like. I'm just not sure anymore if this is what I should be doing, or if this is where I should be doing it - whatever "it" is.

In the meantime, I feel closer to God than I have in a long time. My morning walks (almost every day now, interspersed with some jogging) have become very special times. I'm reading The Divine Hours every morning and evening and praying the psalms. I have begun to look forward to these times of walking and praying much more than I would have ever anticipated. They are definitely putting me in a place where God can transform me, as Richard Foster writes.

I have no idea where God is leading me through all of this, but that's ok.
I'll find out along the way...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry! I missed your teaching! I didn't realize you were going to be speaking until now. I can't believe it's been almost 2 years since the last time...I almost wanted to say where did 2 years go...but I know the answer! :)

Miss seeing ya...life is crazy! Hopefully soon! Tell Kim and family we say hi!

Anonymous said...

Thought you were wonderful - very sincere, not sermon like.
It is a very personal way to reach/teach/talk to people.......by the way..how old are you, Myles?

Myles said...

I'm 43 - for a few more hours! Thank you for asking!